Select Page

One of the most contentious parts of a Kentucky divorce is often child custody. Obviously, you want what is best for your children, but what you feel is best, your spouse may not. Coming to an agreement is often difficult. The court will step in and make the final call if needed, but before it gets to that point, you do have some rights to make requests for certain things that may help the court, your children and you.

According to the Kentucky Court of Justice, if there are disputes about visitation or custody, you can ask for things from the court. You may ask the court to refer your case for mediation. This will allow you and your spouse to discuss the issues and try to work out a solution. You also may ask the court to appoint a guardian ad litem for your children. You can also request other professional appointments.

You may ask the court to do a custody evaluation; although, this is often reserved for post-divorce when you have issues with custody or visitation after your parenting plan is already in effect. If you feel there are serious issues or you have concerns about your children’s well-being, you may ask the court to order family counseling or psychological evaluations.

Keep in mind that you can request these or the court may order them. They are used to help the court make a better decision or help you and your spouse to reach an agreement. They may also be used to protect your children and watch out for their best interests. This information is for education and is not legal advice.